As one of the largest economies in the entire world, California’s international export market was worth an estimated $168 billion in 2013, up from $161.9 billion in 2012. The escalation of international trade profits has secured California’s position as the leading international exporter in the nation, and has resulted in an increasing number of high-salaried jobs in the state related to international business.
In 2013, the International Trade Administration reported that 75,175 California-based companies exported goods and services to foreign markets. At that time, an impressive 96% of these companies were small-to-medium sized enterprises that employed less than 500 employees.
- Norwich University Online - Master of Arts in International Relations Program - Online. Choose from 5 concentrations: International Security, National Security, International Development, Cyber Diplomacy, Regions of the World. NO GRE/ GMAT required.
- Norwich University Online - Master of Arts in Diplomacy - Online. Build stronger negotiation, critical thinking and conflict management skills. Choose from 4 concentrations: international commerce, international terrorism, international conflict management and cyber diplomacy.
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. in Business Administration and Master in Public Administration: Government and Policy
- Southern New Hampshire University - B.S. in Business Administration - International Business and M.B.A. in International Business
- American University - The online master's programs from American University's School of International Service allow professionals to build international and business expertise in 12–24 months. GRE/GMAT scores not required.
- Liberty University - Online Master of Science in International Relations
- Tufts University - Fletcher's online Master of Global Business Administration from Tufts University prepares students to apply advanced business strategy in a global context. Complete in as few as 16 months. No GRE/GMAT required.
- American University - Designed by both Kogod and the top-ranked School of International Service, the MS in International Relations and Business at American University will help you develop a global business mindset in as few as 18 months.No GRE/GMAT required.
International business professionals may find the best job prospects in the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim metropolitan area, as this region exported $76.3 billion in merchandise in 2013, representing 41% of the state’s entire share of exports.
International Business Salaries in California
In 2014, the United States Department of Labor conducted salary surveys to determine the median pay for occupations associated with international business throughout California. The results are as follows:
- Industrial Production Managers: $99,000
- Purchasing Managers: $110,500
- Transportation Storage and Distribution Managers: $86,700
- Compliance Officers: $75,300
- Logisticians: $81,300
- Management Analysts: $85,700
- Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists: $70,000
Further analysis shows the full range of salaries for international business professionals in California (US Department of Labor, 2014):
International Relations Salaries in California
Professionals that work in the field of international relations often serve diplomatic roles with NGOs and global humanitarian organizations such as International Medical Corps in Los Angeles and Project Concern in San Diego. By creating and developing strong philanthropic connections with other countries, international relations professionals help pave the way for foreign trade.
In 2014, the United States Department of Labor conducted salary surveys to determine the median pay for occupations associated with international relations throughout California. The findings were as follows:
- Fundraisers: $59,900
- Economists: $95,500
- Urban and Regional Planners: $79,700
- Political Science Teachers, Postsecondary: $84,600
- Foreign Language and Literature Teachers, Postsecondary: $76,200
- Political Scientists: $65,100
- Area, Ethnic and Cultural Studies Teachers, Postsecondary: $72,600
- Interpreters and Translators: $45,100
Further analysis shows the full range of salaries for international relations professionals in California (US Department of Labor, 2014):