International business in Idaho is dependent on the efforts of government and nonprofit organizations alike helping to lay the foundation for business relationships in foreign countries. With assistance from government entities like Idaho Commerce and Idaho Small Business Solutions, global companies with operations around the state are building connections that will continue to impact Idaho’s economy both now and into the future. In 2014 alone, in-sourcing from foreign and domestic companies accounted for more than 13,800 jobs in the state. This represents nearly three percent of Idaho’s current private workforce. Among this workforce are the international business professionals whose expertise helps assure Idaho’s participation in global commerce.
The US Census Bureau’s 2014 statistics reported over twenty-seven percent of all exports in Idaho were from the electronic components category, including memory boards and integrated circuits. These products, as well as many others, represent a viable job market in Idaho making relationships in foreign countries important to the health of local economies.
- Norwich University Online - Master of Arts in International Relations Program - Online. Choose from 5 concentrations: International Security, National Security, International Development, Cyber Diplomacy, Regions of the World. NO GRE/ GMAT required.
- Norwich University Online - Master of Arts in Diplomacy - Online. Build stronger negotiation, critical thinking and conflict management skills. Choose from 4 concentrations: international commerce, international terrorism, international conflict management and cyber diplomacy.
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. in Business Administration and Master in Public Administration: Government and Policy
- Southern New Hampshire University - B.S. in Business Administration - International Business and M.B.A. in International Business
- American University - The online master's programs from American University's School of International Service allow professionals to build international and business expertise in 12–24 months. GRE/GMAT scores not required.
- Liberty University - Online Master of Science in International Relations
- Tufts University - Fletcher's online Master of Global Business Administration from Tufts University prepares students to apply advanced business strategy in a global context. Complete in as few as 16 months. No GRE/GMAT required.
- American University - Designed by both Kogod and the top-ranked School of International Service, the MS in International Relations and Business at American University will help you develop a global business mindset in as few as 18 months.No GRE/GMAT required.
Salaries for International Business Professionals in Idaho
Businesses of all sizes in Idaho are finding success by growing and expanding their reach, partnering with global markets; from main players like Fed-X, Lockheed, and Meyer Industries to smaller organizations like Episciences, Rekluse Motor Sports, and PakSense.
Each company typically designates teams to represent their international business involvement. Senior level and management jobs found in organizations such as these include:
- Export Manager
- International Trade Specialist
- VP International Banking
- International Sales Manager
- Executive Director of Marketing
- Worldwide Account Manager
Salaries for individual jobs will vary with each employer. For instance, an aggregation of salaries shown in job postings from 2015 revealed the salary range for an International Trade Specialist to fall between $34,865 and $95,784 annually. For the International Sales Manager, the range is $44,897 to $141,334 per year.
Interestingly it isn’t just Idaho-based companies looking to export to global markets, but international companies considering Idaho as their new home for production. The Idaho Statesman reports that businesses like Glanbia Foods, headquartered in Ireland, will bring a new manufacturing and production plant to both Gooding and Twin Falls to produce cheese and whey. Frulact, a Portuguese company plans to build a $30 million plant in Rupert, bringing in about 100 new jobs.
To see more job and salary information for international business professionals from around the state view the table below (US Department of Labor, 2014):
Salaries for International Relations Professionals in Idaho
For Idaho businesses to connect to international markets, good relations are always a vital starting point. Both government and non-profit organizations work throughput the year building goodwill and creating strong relational ties. These partnerships allow ways for businesses to connect in a manner that may not have been possible through business efforts alone.
International relations include efforts from programs such as the Department of State. They work to advance U.S. trade policies and objectives by opening new markets for businesses including those in Idaho. Another is the Diplomat-in-Residence program; a cadre of foreign service officers that work in conjunction with Idaho’s educational facilities to offer international relations guidance.
There are many possible career paths through Idaho’s international organizations. Here are just a few examples including median salaries and titles from an aggregation of salaries shown in job postings from 2015:
- Director of Strategy and Operations: $104,460
- Public relations Manager: $60,059
- US Media Manager: $54,050
- Commercial Relations Manager: $71,327
- Data Scientist / Engineer: $92,088
For more information on salaries associated with other international relations positions in Idaho see the table below (US Department of Labor, 2014):