At a 2015 conference in Chicago sponsored by the Hong Kong Trade Development Council and the International Trade Association of Greater Chicago (ITA), businesses from all over Illinois were afforded the opportunity to connect with Chinese firms interested in outbound investments and finance opportunities. It’s efforts like these that allow new partnerships to form and new markets to open for businesses all across the state.
International trade and commerce in Illinois relies heavily on the efforts of government agencies, universities and nonprofit organizations involved in paving the way for business through strong international relations. Agencies and organizations like ITA and The Illinois Chamber of Commerce International Business Council (IBC) specifically focus their efforts on helping firm up relations in order to build global business connections around the state.
- Norwich University Online - Master of Arts in International Relations Program - Online. Choose from 5 concentrations: International Security, National Security, International Development, Cyber Diplomacy, Regions of the World. NO GRE/ GMAT required.
- Norwich University Online - Master of Arts in Diplomacy - Online. Build stronger negotiation, critical thinking and conflict management skills. Choose from 4 concentrations: international commerce, international terrorism, international conflict management and cyber diplomacy.
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. in Business Administration and Master in Public Administration: Government and Policy
- Southern New Hampshire University - B.S. in Business Administration - International Business and M.B.A. in International Business
- American University - The online master's programs from American University's School of International Service allow professionals to build international and business expertise in 12–24 months. GRE/GMAT scores not required.
- Liberty University - Online Master of Science in International Relations
- Tufts University - Fletcher's online Master of Global Business Administration from Tufts University prepares students to apply advanced business strategy in a global context. Complete in as few as 16 months. No GRE/GMAT required.
- American University - Designed by both Kogod and the top-ranked School of International Service, the MS in International Relations and Business at American University will help you develop a global business mindset in as few as 18 months.No GRE/GMAT required.
The collective work of all international interests has resulted in a significant impact on jobs in Illinois. In 2014 alone insourcing was responsible for 272,800 jobs, representing almost five percent of Illinois’ current workforce in the private industry sector. Among these jobs are high-paying positions for international relations specialists and international business professionals.
International Business Salary in Illinois
Businesses in Illinois are expanding their international reach by partnering with a variety of global markets. Hyatt Hotels headquartered in Chicago recently expanded its international chain into Mexico on the Riviera Maya. Livingston International, a global logistics company, is expanding by opening a new headquarter in Chicago. Companies such as these may offer several positions related to international business like these listed here:
- Project officer
- Infrastructure Policy Strategist
- Resource Officer
- Manager of Services Exports/Imports
- International Financial Writer
- Foreign Currency Advisor
The annual salary for any position will depend on the employer as well as other factors such as workplace responsibility and experience.
A detailed analysis of salaries for international business professionals in Illinois is shown here (US Department of Labor, 2014):
International Relations Salary in Illinois
For businesses to connect with new international markets, both government and nonprofit organizations make the process easier by establishing strong relational ties with foreign stakeholders.
One such agency, Chicago Sister Cities International (CSCI), works to provide leadership development, and manage and coordinate a variety of projects and programs for twenty-eight sister cities around the world. Being involved in programs such as these, key partnerships and bonds are formed that may not otherwise have taken place.
Organizations like CSCI offer high-paying jobs to qualified candidates looking for careers in nonprofit international organizations.
A detailed analysis of salaries for international relations specialists in Illinois is shown here (US Department of Labor, 2014):