The US Department of Commerce International Trade Administration reported that North Dakota exported $5.3 billion worth of goods to foreign markets in 2014. This level of international trade supported 32,332 jobs that year, representing nearly one fifth of all of the jobs in North Dakota according to the US Global Leadership Coalition. These positions include high paying corporate positions for multinational executives and export compliance specialists, along with numerous other professionals involved in international business efforts.
North Dakota’s economic development agency helps promote international trade through the expertise of diplomatic advisors, foreign outreach workers and other international relations professionals that help build strong trade relations.
- Norwich University Online - Master of Arts in International Relations Program - Online. Choose from 5 concentrations: International Security, National Security, International Development, Cyber Diplomacy, Regions of the World. NO GRE/ GMAT required.
- Norwich University Online - Master of Arts in Diplomacy - Online. Build stronger negotiation, critical thinking and conflict management skills. Choose from 4 concentrations: international commerce, international terrorism, international conflict management and cyber diplomacy.
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. in Business Administration and Master in Public Administration: Government and Policy
- Southern New Hampshire University - B.S. in Business Administration - International Business and M.B.A. in International Business
- American University - The online master's programs from American University's School of International Service allow professionals to build international and business expertise in 12–24 months. GRE/GMAT scores not required.
- Liberty University - Online Master of Science in International Relations
- Tufts University - Fletcher's online Master of Global Business Administration from Tufts University prepares students to apply advanced business strategy in a global context. Complete in as few as 16 months. No GRE/GMAT required.
- American University - Designed by both Kogod and the top-ranked School of International Service, the MS in International Relations and Business at American University will help you develop a global business mindset in as few as 18 months.No GRE/GMAT required.
Salaries for North Dakota’s International Business Professionals
Salaries for corporate managers and specialists who are frequently associated with international trade and commerce are shown here (US Department of Labor 2014):
- Industrial purchasing managers
- Far Western North Dakota nonmetropolitan area – $177,210
- East Central North Dakota nonmetropolitan area – $171,650
- Fargo – $153,010
- Purchasing managers
- Bismarck – $151,340
- Fargo – $149,810
- Transportation, storage, and distribution managers
- Bismarck – $133,370
- Fargo – $128,880
- West Central North Dakota nonmetropolitan area – $128,820
Business Operation Specialists
- Management analysts
- Far Western North Dakota nonmetropolitan area – $142,740
- Grand Forks – $141,190
- West Central North Dakota nonmetropolitan area – $110,140
- Compliance officers
- Far Western North Dakota nonmetropolitan area – $100,230
- Grand Forks – $97,380
- West Central North Dakota nonmetropolitan area – $80,180
- Market research analysts
- Far Western North Dakota nonmetropolitan area – $85,140
- Bismarck – $81,390
- West Central North Dakota nonmetropolitan area – $79,510
- Fargo – $78,910
- Bismarck – $96,450
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics provides a full analysis of salaries for a number of professions associated with international business in North Dakota (2014):
Salaries for International Relations Professionals in North Dakota
As of 2013, some 6,201 nonprofits operated in North Dakota according to the North Dakota Association of Nonprofit Organizations, many of which operated in the international sphere. These nonprofits are major employers and provided more than 15% of North Dakota’s non-governmental jobs.
Bluewater Nonprofit Solutions, a nonprofit staffing services firm, reported that the median salary for chief marketing officers of nonprofits in the north central part of the country was $84,936 as of 2013, while the maximum salary for these professionals was $235,125. More than 42% of the nonprofits paid bonuses, which added an average of 2.3% to the base salaries of these professionals.
The US Department of Labor provides salary information for fundraisers in North Dakota’s major cities as of 2014:
This agency provides detailed salary information on an array of professions in North Dakota that provide international relations expertise to NGOs, government agencies and businesses that operate in the international sphere (2014):